Sunday, February 10, 2013

Math Centers & Clip Art FREEBIE

Every 2 weeks I create a new math choice board for my kinders to complete. Yes, I said every 2 weeks. Mondays are our introduction days and we always do a math activity together so that leaves 4 more days during our week to do math centers. Here's what their choice board looks like...
Everyday after my students complete their math journal entry, they go up to the Promethean board and move their name to their choice for the day. One of my center rules is that only 4 students can be at each center. By using the Promethean board the kids have a great visual of what is left to sign up for that day. After everyone signs up, I print this flip chart page for my records. (Someone ALWAYS looses their board.) Math centers is a great way to tie in all those activities you have in your room but because of new standards and such you just don't know when to do them. (blocks, puzzles, etc...) 

My TA and I always have a group during this time to help students with their activity. It's nice because we are able to help students one on one because the groups are not leveled. My higher students can work independently while my lower students get the help they need. My math scores have been amazing this year and I give this math center model ALL the credit. I love watching the kids teach and help each other at centers. We've had many classroom meetings about how we tutor each other instead of just giving the answers.  Here are a few pictures of how I organize my room for math centers and  my lions working....(of course they pose for the camera)

Here's a sneak peak at this weeks choice board using my 
"Let Me Count the Ways" Valentine's Day math pack.
Click to be directed to my TPT store.


And now for the BEST part of this blog post....Ms. Zippy has created a custom set of Valentine's Day graphics for me to giveaway to my loyal followers!! I few weeks ago I came across her TPT shop Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Designs and fell in LOVE with her graphics! She's one of my favorite artist now and I will be buying LOTS MORE from her to make my products! Click on her button to be directed to her TPT store...you can follower her and become a sweet stalker like me! LOL  

 
 Simply click on the picture to download your very own set! Did you notice that I used these cute backgrounds in my post? Wow, you're very observant! LOL

Happy Sunday!!


10 comments:

  1. I love how you organize your Math Stations! Thank you for sharing all these great pics! And I am sooo excited about that cute clip art!
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy seeing pictures of how other teachers set up their centers! And I LOVE Beth's clipart!!! What a wonderful freebie! Thanks so much!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ideas, and your organization is a great idea too!your students look so happy to smile for you!

    Iteachkidsabc@gmail.com
    :o) V.
    Special Teacher for Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is too cute!! I love it! I'm your newest follower. Thanks for sharing!

    adventuresofroom129.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing how you organize your math centers. How do you record what centers each child has done - are they all required to do all the centers sometime in the two weeks? How do you keep track and be sure they're all doing what they're supposed to? Also what do they write in their math journal and do they do that every day? This is my first year back to Kindergarten after twenty in pre-k so I'm still trying to figure out some things and always looking for ideas and input from teachers that know way more than me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele!
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Every time I make a new choice board for my kiddos, I also make a simple spread sheet to keep up with the centers they sign up for. Like I said above, someone ALWAYS looses their choice board and my rule is...if you can't keep up with it Mrs. Lanier gets to pick your center! By the end of the 2 weeks all of my kids have completed all the centers.

      Math journals are a different story. I have 2 math packs in my TPT store to get you started. We started our math journals on day 1 of kindergarten. I have a promethean board that makes it easier to show the kids what is expected. Our rules and procedures are in place and now we can do some higher level thinking problems. Now, our entires vary from word problems to me giving them the answer and they show me the problem.

      I hope I've answered your questions. You can always email me using the link on the top left of my blog if you ever have anymore questions!
      Happy Friday!
      Nicole

      Delete
  6. I have just started reading your posts...I was drawn in by the adorable lion!! I am moving to a new school after 27 years and we are going to be the Latimer Lions. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips