Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sight Word FUN

So, what's the one thing most kindergarten teachers stress over (okay so there's more than one).....SIGHT WORDS! Every January, I start my annual tradition of having a sight word challenge on Friday. This past week the competition was between the boys and girls. I like to mix things up every week so I change who's competing (tables, color square on the rug, color they are wearing, etc...) As you can see in the picture below, I use my Promethean board for this challenge. Since we've been working on our BIG winter unit I used a snowman to hide the words. The kids take turns pulling sight words out from the snowman and reading them. If they get it correct, they move their word to the side of the board where their team is keeping score. Back in the old days (pre-Promethean Board), I simply used index cards with the words on them. After everyone has had a turn we count the words and the winner gets a lunch date with ME! Well, this past week my little lions tied so everyone came back to the room during lunch. Lunch dates are such a simple yet effective reward (no cost to me but my time). The kids get to pick where they eat and I always turn on an educational show for us to watch on the board.







We are consistently working on our sight words every the week. Here a few effective ideas that my lions LOVE!  Writing our sight words on a dry erase board! My lions go "Nuts-O" for dry erase boards! This is one of their "Word Work" activities during our Daily 5 time.


Sight word secret codes are a BIG hit in my room every year too! Once they've completed decoding the sight words they have to read them to a friend or teacher. This activity is available in my TPT store. Simply click on the product below to be directed to the site.



At the beginning of every school year, I send home a sight word folder that the kids can work on at home. This is a great differentiated activity...the kids have all year to master their lists at their own pace. I also use this activity to help my students set personal goals for learning their sight words. Once a student masters a level they receive a sticker in their folder and the next level is stapled on top of the old one. We keep all the list together so the kids can go back and review. Click the product picture below to be directed to my Teacher's Notebook store!


So, my next product that I'll be working on for sight words will be using these simple but AWESOME letter beads I got from MPM School Supplies online! This sight is very easy to use and they have EVERYTHING a teachers needs!

What are some of your favorite sight word activities that you use in your classroom?  Please leave a comment and show some bloggie LOVE!  Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. You have such great ideas! I love these ideas! Thanks for sharing them!
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

    ReplyDelete
  2. HeidiSongs are my favorite thing to use for our sight words. The kids love them, and so do I! :) Your secret codes look really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the stepstool for your promethean board? I'm looking for something like that for my smartboard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an aerobic step! I got it at a yard sale!

      Delete

Blogging tips