Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday Fun Day & Freebie...

If you've been following me for a while, then you know that I love sharing pictures! Well, the camera was out today so I thought I would share a few of our activities!

I've posted about math journals before, but I have to say it again...they are wonderful! My kids' number sense is the best its ever been at this point in the year! This is how our daily math journal routine goes...

After we do calendar math and dance, we all gather back on the carpet for "Journal Time". I have a special flip chart page that I paste a picture of our daily entry on. We discuss the shortcut date and I write it everyday. Then, I do a little mini-lesson with whatever our skill is we are practicing. My little lions help me by answering questions and filling out the entry on the board.



Once we are finished with our mini-lesson on the carpet, my table captains pass out the journal pages. The lions are dismissed from the carpet to complete their entry. We have never missed a day of math journals...the routine is set in stone now!!! 


Step 1: Cut your entry out.


Step 2: Get your math journal out of your table's work tub.


Step 3: Find the next (or skipped) page in your journal.


Step 4: Glue your entry into your journal.
I tell my kids to make a big X on the back of their page with their glue sticks.
This keeps some of my friends from completely covering the back with glue!


 Step 5: Fill out your journal page.



 You can seriously hear a pin drop during math journals! Their little brains are so busy they forget to talk!!  (unusual for this group...they are chatty) Since my friends work at different paces, they are allowed to have a few minutes of quite reading time once they are done.
"Journal Time" normally takes about 20 minutes each day. 
Packet 2 available at TPT

Mondays are always the days I introduce the letter of the week. Our letter this week is J! Here's a glimpse at our craftivity we made today!  Nothing wild and crazy but the kids still loved it! Sometimes simple is the best way to go!
"Jars full of J's"




Grab your own copy here!



One more thing before I wrap this post up...
As you all know, this is "Red Ribbon Week". Today we wore our silly socks to "Sock It to Drugs"Tomorrow is "Team Up Against Drugs" & we'll all be wearing our favorite team shirts! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips