Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Letter of the Week: Aa

My school is using the book "Recipe for Reading" this year to guide our phonics program. The letter order is completely different from Saxon so I've had to revise all my letter files. I thought I would share a typical Monday letter introduction with you and how I use my Promethean Board to guide the lesson. 

I always have the letter of the week flip chart up and ready to go when my kids get back from lunch. (10:45am) They always get so excited to see a new letter on the board! 

This page gets copied and pasted into all of my letter flip charts. Recognize the alphabet strip? (Saxon Phonics) One thing I have learned over the years is that repetition is the key when teaching phonics! So, every day I ask my kids...
1. How many letters are in the alphabet?
2. What are the two types of lettters?
3. How many vowels do we have? Name them? 
4. Does anyone see our letter of the week on these strips? (I always let one of my students come up and circle the letter and tell the class what the clue picture is that will remind us what sound the letter makes.)

One of the fabulous teachers I work with created this page with links to tons of alphabet songs on YouTube! During the week, I'll randomly pick a song for us to sing...especially if the kids are wiggly on the rug! 

You can't introduce a letter without singing and dancing! Have fun Teaching has a great YouTube channel with tons of educational songs & videos! We also love to discover words that begin with our letter's sound at starfall.com and to watch letter t.v. on unitedstreaming.com

Finding the letter in our names is a great way to make the letter of the week more personal. I like asking the kids if their "A" is upper or lowercase too! 

 We make an "A" chart on the Promethean Board and later in the week we make one on chart paper to display in the room. The kids love watching me draw picture to go along with the words! You can hear a pin drop when I'm being an artist! 

Once we're done with our flip chart, we always do a craftivitiy for our letter! This week we made apples! 
The first thing the kids did was to cut out their red apple, brown stem and green leaf. Then they glued those pieces together and started making tissue paper balls.
I'm not a big fan of regular Elmer's glue, but my kids this year are pros! PS: I love having table trashcans! Keeps the traffic down in my classroom!



A few of my kids are still getting use to me snapping pictures of them while they work!

My kids did a great job creating the letter "A" using tissue balls! Our apples look great hanging on our clothesline...great way to start decorating for fall!
I would love to hear some of the ideas you have for introducing the letter of the week! Please leave a comment and share!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    Those are some great activities! I love the consonants and vowels identification chart. That would be good for my firsties!
    Crystal
    Ms. Jones’ Junction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. It totally makes sense now, why I love your blog. I am a K teacher in GA too...and our school also using Reading Recipe! I'm in Carrollton :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're one county away from me! I'm in Newnan!

      Delete
  3. Cute cute cute! Love all the pictures and your Promethean board seems priceless! Every teacher should have one!

    Pixy Stix and Teacher Tricks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I really appreciate you showing how you use your interactive board.
    Tarita

    Papers, Pencils and Books, Oh My!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you sell your flipcarts? I love the letter of the week flipcart!
    Mrs.G's Kindergarten in Heels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't sell them yet. I'm working on a September flip chart right now and hope to post it this weekend!

      Delete
  6. Please, please, please sell your flipcharts! I love the letter of the week series you have shown for letter Aa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently found out that most clip art owners don't allow their products to be used on Promethean Boards unless it's for personal use ONLY. I'll have to edit most of my flip charts before I can sell them. I'll let everyone know when I have something to preview...need opinions before I sell. :-)

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips