Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Calendar Time

Here's a look into some of my class' daily routines...

The first thing my kids do in the morning is unpack their book bags, make their lunch choice on the Promethean Board and do their morning work. The tardy bell rings at 8:05am and by 8:10am my class is lined up at the door ready to go to block (PE, music, art, & computer lab). I love having the first block for planning! I have time to drink my coffee and discuss the day with my TA. 

The kids return from block at 8:50am and immediately come into the room and stand in their spot on the rug to say the pledge. Then it's time for CALENDAR!!! The first thing I do every morning is make sure my kids are ready to be good listeners and ready to learn.
 The picture in the top left of the flip chart is a link to Harry's Kindergarten song Criss-Cross Apple Sauce. 

I have links throughout my morning calendar pages for easy access to songs and videos I like to use to help teach different skills. Can you see the small music notes in the top left corner? They're links to songs for the months and days! 
1. Sing or say months of the year
2. Sing or say days of the week
3. Look for important days in our month (I always mark them with a cute picture.)
4. Add to our month's pattern
5. Write shortcut date (I've changed this for September.)
6. Today, Yesterday & Tomorrow 

Then my line leader goes to the back door to check the weather. We graph what the weather is like and I ask random questions like "How many more days has it been sunny then cloudy?" or "How can we tell who has the most without counting?" There's a picture in the top left corner (popular spot on my flip charts) of this page that is linked to Harry Kindergarten's 4 Seasons In A Year song. 

My door holder is in charge of showing us how to use base ten blocks to count how many days we've been in kindergarten. The school supplies on the left side of this page are linked to funny sounds. (Great way to keep kids' attention during this repetitive activity.) I think the apple sneezes which always makes my kids laugh! 

We cross off how many days we've been together and write the number in the sentence. I have a few links on this page...I Can Count to 100, Schoolhouse Rocks Zero, Dr. Jean Zero the Hero (PowerPoint show). 

We play the "Name Game" everyday until we've celebrated each student! After we've cheered for the name of the day, the kids go to their dancing spots around the room and WE DANCE!!!!!

 After we dance, we gather back on the rug to complete our math journal entry as a class. Then, I send the kids to their tables to complete the entry on their own. 
After math journals, we begin our math stations. Here's a surprise freebie for making it through my long post! 


Sneak peak at tomorrow's post...
Letter of the Week
 

17 comments:

  1. I love your number of the day page for math journals!! did you create it?

    Lauren
    Miss Augustine's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a math journal packet in my TN store.

      Delete
  2. This is exactly what I've been looking for! I typically loathe calendar time, with the old pocket chart with the patterned cards. Blah. I'm so over that, but THIS looks fantastic. Did you make it yourself? If so will you share it? Seriously one of the best things I've ever seen!

    Tracey
    http://www.our-cool-school.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had lots of request to share my flipcharts. I'm working on September right now and hopefully I'll be able to put it in my Teacher's Notebook store. Thanks for visiting! Happy Wednesday!
      N

      Delete
  3. Are any of your flip charts on promethean planet or TpT's? I love your caledar flipchart.

    Mrs.G's Kindergarten in Heels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully my September calendar will in my teacher store this weekend! I'll keep everyone updated later this week. Thanks for visiting!
      N

      Delete
  4. This is awesome! I have a promethean board too. I have been using the same calendar flipchart for about 3 years and need to update it. Love the song links too. I use most of the same tunes, but don't have them linked. Do you plan to share this on promethean planet. I love your ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be putting my September calendar flipchart in my teacher's notebook store later this week. Thanks for visiting!
      N

      Delete
  5. Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I can handle 2 more days of calendar time but you have given me a new reason to celebrate September! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your flip chart! and Your calendar is soooo cute! We do the Name Game too, just the same way (except just not on the Smartboard). But I LOVE how you have it on the Smartboard! Did you make all of the pages yourself? I am definitely checking out your Teacher's Notebook Store! How incredibly cute!
    Thanks for the ideas!

    Carie

    KindergartenHugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all my flip charts are Nicole originals. I've had a lot of request to add my charts to my teacher stores so I'm going to work on it this weekend! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! N

      Delete
  7. OMG Nicole...again...I LOVE YOU!!!:) I just love love love all your fabulous teaching ideas and management techniques. I wish you were teaching in my school...right across the hall or right next door, oh my life would be SOOO much easier if I had a seasoned veteran K teacher like you to help lead the way. You're wonderful! Thanks for all this great stuff:) Do you have a flip chart template made for lunch choices? Do you include pics with the choices?

    ~Rachel
    Teaching with Z

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way, I too would LOVE to have your flip charts!!! Waiting anxiously to see them added to your store:)

    ~Rachel
    Teaching with Z

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I LOVE your flip charts! Are they available yet on TPT? I checked and couldn't find them!

    -Dawn
    First Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto on the post above......these are wonderful. Can we buy them yet?

    maconsalo@interact.ccsd.net

    Michelle Consalo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is this complete flipchart available for purchase?? I would LOVE to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you purchase your calendar set at? I want it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips